Coachlight Bible Study–Daniel’s Seventy Weeks–Daniel Chapter 9
The Book of Daniel is truly about the making of a prophet. God wants to reveal His plan to His people who seek Him. We see Daniel, as a prophet and a student of prophecy. In studying God’s Word, Daniel realizes that His people’s captivity is to last 70 years. Daniel also realized that the captivity began when Daniel was deported to Babylon in BC 606. The Jews have been in captivity 68 years now, and this would seem to only leave 2 years for the rest of the events of prophecy God has already given to Daniel. This does not make sense – so what is Daniel to do?
Daniel seeks God with fasting and prayer, and we will see the angel Gabriel interrupting his prayer with a revelation of the Seventy Weeks – an explanation that clears up much of Daniel’s confusion.
The story of Daniel gives us a great example to emulate. Daniel’s confession and supplication was not a petition on account of his or his people’s righteousness; or a selfish asking for blessing, but a seeking of God and His righteousness.
Daniel 9:1 ¶ In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans;
Daniel 9:2 In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.
I. The Time Of The Vision
A. The First Year Of Darius – BC 538
B. Same Year Daniel Was Thrown Into The Lion’s Den
C. Daniel Was Somewhat In A State of Confusion
1. He understood the vision of the 4 Wild Beasts & the Ram & He-Goat
a. Both foretold a lengthy period of captivity for his people
b. He believed the revelation – Hard to reconcile with the Word of God
2. In Jeremiah, Daniel found out the captivity was 70 Years
Jeremiah 25:11 And this whole land shall be a desolation, and an astonishment; and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years.
a. The false prophets had gone against this prophecy – It would be short
b. Jeremiah counteracted this by telling his people:
Jeremiah 29:4 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, unto all that are carried away captives, whom I have caused to be carried away from Jerusalem unto Babylon;
Jeremiah 29:5 Build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant gardens, and eat the fruit of them;
Jeremiah 29:6 Take ye wives, and beget sons and daughters; and take wives for your sons, and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; that ye may be increased there, and not diminished.
Jeremiah 29:7 And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.
Jeremiah 29:8 ¶ For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Let not your prophets and your diviners, that be in the midst of you, deceive you, neither hearken to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed.
Jeremiah 29:9 For they prophesy falsely unto you in my name: I have not sent them, saith the LORD.
Jeremiah 29:10 For thus saith the LORD, That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.
c. Daniel knew Jeremiah was a prophet inspired by God
d. Daniel was not only a prophet, but a student of prophecy
D. Daniel Knew That The Captivity Began When He Was Deported – BC 606
1. Daniel was carried away from Jerusalem 68 years before
2. He knew that the return decree was foretold before Cyrus was born
Isaiah 44:28 That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.
Isaiah 45:1 ¶ Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;
Isaiah 45:2 I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:
3 The Return Decree Would Be In 2 Years
E. How Could This Possibly Square With His Other Visions?
1. The 4 Wild Beast Empires – Be fulfilled before Israel has national existence
2. Only one had been in power – Babylon
3. Only left 2 years for the passing of the other 3
F. Daniel had to Learn His 70 years Captivity Was Just A Type
1. A Type of a longer dispersion for his people
2. A Type of a longer dispersion that would be 70 times longer
G. Daniel Knew If Israel Repented & Turned To God – Restore Their Land
1. Leviticus 26:40-45
2. Deuteronomy 30:1-10
II. Daniel's Prayer – Confession, Supplication, & Intercession
A. My Favorite Prayer In The Bible
B. Daniel Who It Was Said Had An Excellent Spirit In Him
1. Had the most spotless character – except Christ
2. Daniel associates himself as a sinner with his people
III. Daniel’s Confession
Daniel 9:3 And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:
Daniel 9:4 ¶ And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;
Daniel 9:5 We have sinned, and have committed iniquity, and have done wickedly, and have rebelled, even by departing from thy precepts and from thy judgments:
Daniel 9:6 Neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, which spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land.
Daniel 9:7 O Lord, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee.
Daniel 9:8 O Lord, to us belongeth confusion of face, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against thee.
Daniel 9:9 To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him;
Daniel 9:10 Neither have we obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets.
Daniel 9:11 Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him.
Daniel 9:12 And he hath confirmed his words, which he spake against us, and against our judges that judged us, by bringing upon us a great evil: for under the whole heaven hath not been done as hath been done upon Jerusalem.
Daniel 9:13 As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth.
Daniel 9:14 Therefore hath the LORD watched upon the evil, and brought it upon us: for the LORD our God is righteous in all his works which he doeth: for we obeyed not his voice.
Daniel 9:15 And now, O Lord our God, that hast brought thy people forth out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and hast gotten thee renown, as at this day; we have sinned, we have done wickedly.
A. Daniel Associates Himself With Sinful Israel
1. He did not say the people have sinned
2. He said ‘we’ have sinned
B. He Knew His People Had Not Kept The Law
1. They had rebelled God
2. They had not obeyed God’s Word & Prophets
3. This judgment came because God’s Word and prophecy is true
IV. Daniel’s Supplication
Daniel 9:16 O Lord, according to all thy righteousness, I beseech thee, let thine anger and thy fury be turned away from thy city Jerusalem, thy holy mountain: because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and thy people are become a reproach to all that are about us.
Daniel 9:17 Now therefore, O our God, hear the prayer of thy servant, and his supplications, and cause thy face to shine upon thy sanctuary that is desolate, for the Lord’s sake.
Daniel 9:18 O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies.
Daniel 9:19 O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God: for thy city and thy people are called by thy name.
A. Daniel’s Confession Based On God’s Righteousness
1. His confession was not based on any righteousness that Israel held
2. But based on God’s righteousness
B. The Lord Was Known All Over By Delivering Israel from Egypt
1. He pleaded for His people – That were a reproach
2. He pleaded for His city Jerusalem – That was desolate
V. Gabriel Interrupts Daniel’s Prayer
Daniel 9:20 ¶ And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;
Daniel 9:21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.
Daniel 9:22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.
Daniel 9:23 At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.
A. Daniel’s Prayer Interrupted At Evening Oblation – 3PM
1. There was not Israeli Temple in Babylon
2. Daniel still observed the set times for worship
B. Gabriel Came To Give Daniel The Answer To His Prayer
1. At the beginning of Daniel’s supplication
2. Gabriel flew swiftly from heaven to Babylon
C. Gabriel Told Daniel He Was ‘Greatly Beloved’
VI. The Six Point Purpose Of The Seventy Weeks
Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
A. The 70 Weeks Have Nothing To Do With The Gentiles Or The Church
1. It Only Concerns Daniel’s People – Jews
2. It Only Concerns The Holy City - Jerusalem
B. The Purpose Of The Vision Of Seventy Weeks – Six Points
1. To Finish The Transgression
2. To Make An End Of Sin
3. To Make Reconciliation For Iniquity
4. To Bring In Everlasting Righteousness
5. To Seal Up The Vision And Prophecy
6. To Anoint The Most Holy
C. To Finish The Transgression Of Israel
1. Transgression - 06588 evp pesha‘ peh’-shah – Means rebellion
2. Christ when He was ‘cut-off’ took care of sin for the whole world
a. Hebrews 10:12
b. Romans 5:6-10
3. Gabriel is talking about a time when Israel as a nation will be saved
a. Romans 11:25-29
b. Isaiah 66:7-10
c. Ezekiel 36:24-30
D. To Make An End Of Sin Concerning Israel & Jerusalem – Still Future
1. This will be done at the Second Advent
a. Ezekiel 36:24-30
b. Ezekiel 37:24-37
c. Ezekiel 43:7
d. Zecharaiah 14
2. Israel will seek God just before the Second Advent
a. Zechariah 12:10-13
b. Romans 11:25-29
E. To Make Reconciliation For Iniquity
1. Reconciliation - 03722 rpk kaphar kaw-far’
a. Covering or atonement
b. Remember Noah covered the ark with ‘kaphar’
c. Christ did the work on Calvary – Israel will accept it.
2. Israel – The Nation – Will be completely reconciled at the Second Advent
a. Isaiah 1:18-20
b. Isaiah 66:7-8
c. Matthew 23:37-39
d. Romans 11:25-29
F. To Bring In Everlasting Righteousness For Israel – After 2nd Advent
1. There will be no everlasting righteousness until the Millennial Reign
a. Isaiah 9:6-7
b. Isaiah 12:1-6
c. Daniel 2:44-45; 7:13-14; 7:18-27
d. Ezekiel 43:7
e. Zecharaiah 14
f. Revelation 11:15; 19:11-20:10; 21:1-22
2. This is Israel’s New Covenant
Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jeremiah 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
G. To Seal Up The Vision And Prophecy
1. Israel’s vision & prophecy appears to be sealed now
Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
2. At the Millennium there will be no need for Vision or Prophecy
I Corinthians 13:8 ¶ Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
I Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
I Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
3. This ‘Vision’ & ‘Prophecy’
a. Confined To Israel
b. When visions & prophecies are fulfilled
1. There will be no use for them
2. They will be preserved by sealing them up
H. To Anoint The Most Holy – Millennial Temple – Ezekiel 41-42
1. Some misinterpret & believe that the most holy means Christ
a. This would mean that anointing the most holy was Christ’s baptism
b. Meant Christ’s baptism in Holy Spirit at River Jordan
2. The Most Holy is a place – not a person
06944 vdq qodesh ko’-desh – “holy” 262,”sanctuary” 68
3. This most holy place is the future Millennial Temple
a. The Shekinah Glory 1st appeared in Exodus 13:21-22
1. It went before the Children of Israel in a Pillar of Cloud by day
2. The Lord went before the Children of Israel in a Pillar of Fire by night
b. When the Tabernacle was erected
1. The Shikinah Glory took possession of the Most Holy Place
2. Between the Cherubim on the ark - Exodus 40:34-35; 25:10-22;
c. When Solomon’s Temple was dedicated
1. The Shekinah Filled the most holy place
2. The priests could not stand to minister – I Kings 8:10-11
d. Ezekiel saw the Shekinah leave & Go to heaven
1. The house – (temple) – Ezekiel 9:3
2. Later Jerusalem – Ezekiel 11:23
e. Ezekiel saw a vision of the millennial temple – Ezekiel 43:1-6
1. Of the Millennial Temple
2. The Shekinah returns from the east
4. So when the Millennial Temple is built
a. The Shekinah will return
b. The Shekinah will anoint the Most Holy
So The Time Between The Departure & Return Of The Shekinah Glory Defines The Length Of The Times Of The Gentiles
So the 70 Weeks Did Not End With The 1st Advent As Some Claim
– But Continues Until The 2nd Advent
– All Six Statements Of The Purpose Are Still Future
VII. The Interpretation Seventy Weeks
A. Literally these words should read ‘Seventy Sevens’ Periods of Time
1. The word week is kept because we have no English equivalent
2. 07620 ewbv shabuwa ‘shaw-boo’-ah – Means Seven or Week
3. The meaning whether days, weeks, or years taken by context
4. Because the 70 years captivity was years – So is the 70 weeks
B. 70 Weeks Means 490 Years – 70 x 7 = 490 years
C. 69 Weeks – 483 Years Are Determined By 2 Points In Time
1. Commandment to restore and build Jerusalem
2. To Messiah the Prince
a. The street will be rebuilt
b. The wall will be rebuilt
D. There are 3 Commands At The End Of The Babylonian Captivity
1. Cyrus’ command was the first
a. Found in Ezra 1:1-4; 3:8, Isaiah 44:28; 45:1-4; 46:11
b. Cyrus reigned 9 years
1. His son, Cambyses reigned 7 years
2. In the son’s reign the work on the temple ceased (Ezra 4:1-24).
2. Darius I made the 2nd decree
a. He reigned for 35 years
b. Confirmed Cyrus earlier decree – Made 18 years earlier
1. The temple was finished in the 6th year of his reign
2. But the city was not restored
3. Xerxes reigned 21 years - Daniel 11:1-3
4. During which time the city was not yet completed
3. Artaxerxes Gave Nehemiah the 3rd Decree – March 4, BC 444
a. reigned 41 years
b. Gave Nehemiah the decree in his 20th year – Nehemiah 2:1-19
1. Nehemiah restored the walls in 52 days
2. Rest of restoration took place during the next 49 years – (troublous times)
E. To Messiah, The Prince
1. Of course refers to Christ
2. He is a Prince because Israel rejected Him
3. Visibly became Prince at His Triumphal Entry – March 29, 33AD
F. The 69 Weeks Pinpoints Christ’s Triumphal Entry
1. The Decree Took Place March 4, 444 BC - Nehemiah 2:1-8
2. Is The Same On Jewish Calendar & Modern Calendar
a. 360 Day years
483 Years is 173,880 Days @ 360 day years
b. 365 ¼ Day Years
1. 444 BC to AD 33 = 476 Years = 173,880 Days @ 365 day years
2. 476 x 365.24219=173,855 Days
3. March 4 to March 29=25 Days
4. 173,885 + 25 = 173,880 Days @ 365 day years
G. The Jews in Christ's day should have Understood This Prophecy
1. They would have looking for Him
2. They would have known that He was Messiah
3. They would have received their King
H. Some Today Make Light Of Prophecies In The Word of God
1. Christ’s Second Coming will catch them unprepared
2. Just like the Jews at His First Advent
Daniel 12: 10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
The Seventy Weeks Of Daniel
First 69 Weeks
Not Revealed To Daniel
Daniel’s Last Week
Building the Bride
March 4, 444BC
March 29, 33AD
Church Age Gap
Tribulation – Israel will Be Saved
Time of Jacob’s Trouble
Fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant
Decree to Restore and Rebuild Jeru-salem
Triumphal Entry of Christ
Destruction of Jerusalem – AD 70
Confirm The Covenant With Many
Sacrifice and Oblation Ceases
Consummation Determined Poured On The Desolate
The Vision of the Sixty Nine Weeks Pinpoints the First Coming of the Messiah
The Decree Took Place March 4, 444 BC
483 Years is 173,880 Days @ 360 day years
444 BC to AD 33 = 476 Years = 173,880 Days @ 365 day years
476 x 365.24219=173,855 Days
March 4 to March 29=25 Days
173,885 + 25 = 173,880 Days @ 365 day years
VIII. Events Between 69th & 70 Weeks
Daniel 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
A. Messiah the Prince Should Be Cut-off – Christ Crucified
B. Jerusalem And The Temple Destroyed – Titus 70 AD
C. A Long Period With Wars – Christ Explained
Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
IX. Christ’s Olivet Discourse – Matthew 24; Mark 13; Luke 21
A. When Christ Gave This Discourse The 69 Weeks Were History
B. It Was Just A Few Days Before He Was Cut-Off
C. Christ Foretold The Destruction Of Jerusalem
1. Jerusalem would be trodden down by Gentiles
2. Until the Times of the Gentiles is fulfilled – Still running today
D. At The End Of The Times Of The Gentiles Christ Will Return
X. The Revelation Of Jesus Christ
A. Written by John in 96 AD – After Christ Ascended Into Heaven
B. Confirmed His Olivet Discourse – More On This Next Week
C. Gives Detail Of The Events Of The 70th Week – In Chronological Order
1. Chapters 2-3 Outlines The Church in this dispensation
2. The church is not mentioned from Chapter 5-19
3. Chapters 5-19 gives the events of the 70th week after the rapture.